Thursday, October 23, 2014

My People

When Tim and I moved to Boston we knew we could count on two whole friends. And by this point in the season I've mentioned those two friends to death because our friend group has only grown ever so slightly. You guys, making friends is hard. Like really hard. I mean Orientation and Playfair and Freshman Retreat were the worst in that they were painfully awkward but at least everyone was awkward together. Now, as a working, married person, I didn't fully anticipate how uncomfortable and tiring it could be. That said, I am truly grateful that Tim and I came in with our two friends. It has eased the difficulty a bit.

Our two friends, one from each of us, had been some of our closest friends in our pre-Boston life. Steve for me, from CUA and Meredith for Tim, from ND. So I guess you could say that Meredith and I became friends by association or even circumstance. However, as it nears November, I don't feel like this is the case. Instead I have found myself wondering where she has been these past four years/ aka why the heck didn't she go to CUA?!?!! (Because clearly flying pigs before I would have went to ND). 

Tim and Meredith both write for a blog at Notre Dame. A few weeks ago she wrote a post about "her people" or even "my people" but mostly "His People." I laughed when I read the title because it is something that she and I had been casually whispering under our breath in awkward social situations for the past two months. I tend to say it when I am with them at grad school gatherings as the only one not into the idea of spending hours reading dense texts and spending two more years of my life thinking a six page paper was short... "These are not my people." Yet changing the phrase to assert that, though not an academic, I do have a place among Theologians, exclaiming, "You are my people!" Meredith and I have been in many a social situation where this sort of scenario has occurred.

Last, last weekend, Meredith and I spent the Sunday of Columbus Day weekend just the two of us. No Tim, no Steve (though they are great and I love them a lot). We went to the J.Crew outlet Columbus Day sale (and many more stores, don't tell my blog editor), for some local ice cream, to the Christmas Tree Shops (which blew my mind) and to see some absurd Lego creations. All day I found myself loving my husband even more for having the foresight to choose friends for himself that I would love and thanking God for Meredith, thinking... "my people."

Also, Meredith recently started a blog. It's much more eloquent than mine, you should check it out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm fairly certain Tim doesn't actually like me. He just put up with me for the past few years knowing that we'd move to the city so that you could have a friend.

    ReplyDelete