Saturday, August 13, 2016

Gemma- 9 Months

I think more than ever, this amateur photo shoot best describes Gemma at this age. On the move. And too busy for you, mom. It was a real struggle to get her to stay still long enough to not be blurry let alone pose with a smile... forget about the bow. Not surprising then that the outtakes for this month outnumber every other month. This is Gemma Brigid, 9 months old.  
 But if you remember, it is really 9.65 months because of my lack of attention to calendars.
 She wears her emotions on her sleeve and is constantly making sassy faces like this one... she loves a good pursed mouth.
 More than anything, Gemma loves puffs. She LOVES them. All puffs all the time. I think it's her independence that fuels the fire but she shows no desire to hold her own bottle so I would be contradicting myself there.
As ameteur parents, we have believed Gemma's teeth to be coming in over the last 6 months. It's such an easy scapegoat for her angst but of course we were wrong, and wrong, and wrong again. Finally, at nine months we laughed at ourselves for ever having believed her to be irritable for teething. Those two bottom teeth took their time poking through and we heard about it!
The two pictures are hysterical to me. It's a true pinterest fail... You buy the nice camera, you put on the white sheet, and invest in the cutest headband but nothing can ensure that your child will cooperate.
A perfect example: I wanted to get a comparison picture of how long she is put overtime we put her on her back her legs would spring to either side.
In 9 months though, Gemma's biggest milestone was crawling. She's a baby on the move who will find that one thing you didn't think to baby proof before you can turn around.
Time is a cruel thing the way it passes. She's officially been out as long as she was in (that felt as weird to read as it did when I typed it...) but these past 9 months have felt twice as long as pregnancy ever did. I think it's mostly because I can't remember a time before Gemma anymore, our lives would simply not be what they are. That said this month was a particularly hard one. My job now is seasonal in that there is one season (summer) when I am too busy to be home between 8 am and 12am. It was such a joy seeing Tim and Gemma grow so close as he stayed home with her all summer, he is such a good dad, but it was hard to feel like I was missing something. I feel I could easily write a series on the elusive balance of a working mom but that would assume I was an expert in some way which is comical as I spend most my time crying or yelling about it...
On a lighter note, a friend posted something that really struck me, "We've decided to stop complaining about how quickly time moves and wish they were little again because every bit older they get we keep saying, 'this is such a fun stage!' and we would rather keep going forward and seeing what fun is to come."

No comments:

Post a Comment