Saturday, October 14, 2017

Edith Margaret: Just Arrived

We pulled out the massive hair bow to count out the second #ladykenney's growth this year. I hope to be more diligent and timely in both taking the pictures and in posting them this time around but I'm already behind. In order to share the 1 month pictures before she hits the two month mark in 2 weeks, I should start from the beginning.
Edith Margaret Kenney, our little bundle. I fought long and reasoned well for your name and it suits you oh so well. Tim and I were married on the feast day of Edith Stein (St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross) and I have since fallen in love with her fierce piety. My name is Rylee Grace which means I am not named for any obvious patron saints. My middle name is a nod to my paternal grandmothers family and especially her mother as it is her last name and I am so glad for that. But ever since we did saints projects in fourth grade and were instructed to use the saint we were named for unless we didn't have one and then we could pick any, I have vowed to make sure my children would have one of their names nod to a saint. Anyway, we knew Gemma was a Gemma before we had kids, before we knew she was a girl, we have always had a patronage to Saint Gemma, it wasn't a big decision or a fight for us. I started thinking about Edith for a girl about the time we decided on Gemma's middle name. We would debate, Gemma Grace or Gemma Ruth or Gemma Elizabeth or Gemma Brigid or what? I would start ending the discussion with, 'and the next daughter will be Edie.' I knew with the old fashioned and STRONG name Tim might not be on board so I warmed him to it by introducing it early and often. This way, by the time we decided to get pregnant with baby number two, he was with me and didn't even really pose any other possibilities. Margaret is Tim's paternal grandmother and we are thrilled to have some strong, charitable, empowering, selfless, and Christ-seeking women to look up to. 
Oh, Edie, we love you so. This is you, in your first week of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment