Sunday, July 5, 2015

California Babymoon 3

A school teacher with summers off quickly forgets the luxury that is. The ability to travel to California for a week from a Wednesday to a Wednesday for cheaper flights is the cats meow. But you forget that when you travel, that doesn't mean that everyone else is also on vacation. So we had two full days, namely the weekend, where everyone was free and ready to take some bigger adventures. When planning for our week and for those precious two days Tim had one request. That's right ladies and gentlemen, my husband is the one who insisted on dragging his pregnant wife along to four wineries in Napa.
I would go further to say that it was cruel, and in some ways maybe it was. But when you get to see the views and the wineries and learn so much you really can't complain.
Our first stop was Elizabeth Spencer, a Kenney family favorite that is the old Post Office turned tasting room.
Then we went to a vineyard that was new to everyone, called Round Pond. The drive up felt like a movie and I relived my childhood dreams of becoming Hallie Parker and craved Peanut Butter and Oreos all day long.
While we waited for the wine tasting they let us wander the gardens, olive groves, and part of the vineyards, what a burden.
Wine and grapes as far as the eye can see. Do you feel slightly bad for me? This trip ensured that in about 11 weeks or so, I will have my first alcoholic beverage since finding out I was pregnant and that will be a dry dry dry red wine. I would say that it needs to be a fancy red wine and make my husband buy it for all of the wine I watched him drink from Napa, but the reality is that it will have been so long since I had wine that I won't care what it tastes like.
After leaving the most beautiful vineyard of the day, we head across the street to their little factory and olive oil mill for an olive oil tasting.
The olive oil was short, and good thing because we had more wineries to visit. 
The color coordination is on point.
This one apparently had good wine but no chairs so this pregnant lady took her mother-in-law and found a bench outside to wait it out. (The distortion of my body and the horizontal lines of this dress make my belly look like the foreign creature I am starting to believe it is...)
Our last stop was the Mumm tasting for some sparkling wines. I'm telling you though, Napa Valley was gorgeous and these lovely people grew more and more chatty as the day went on so really I had a great time. I'm already planning our next trip, when I'm not pregnant...
The last stop was also the best of the day because they actually had an alcohol free Wine Country Soda to offer that didn't taste too much like sparkling Welches.
On the way home we all stopped for In-n-Out (second of three times for the trip) and everyone go to benefit from my extra poundage.
Monday and Tuesday as people started trickling back to work we enjoyed some recovery days around Santa Clara (without crazy long car rides) for movies, enjoying cable television, home cooked meals, and Judy taught me how to sew. I'm sure I'll share some of our her projects soon, to be continued...

We had the best week in California. It was good to get away from Boston for a bit and really feel like it was summer. We were also so glad to be able to spend quality time with Tim's family before Lady Kenney steals all the attention.

1 comment:

  1. "Mmm, not bad, but I prefer a nice California white" -Hallie as Annie in London.

    ReplyDelete